Thursday 28 June 2007

New Visitors?

The five full grown red deer, well-antlered were something of a surprise at 8:30 this morning. They had no intention of waiting for me to get a close up picture. They looked bigger than those I've seen in the last few months. Antlers are usually cast in March to April and the new ones begin to appear immediately. These specimens seemed to be back to normal already though the more velvety new antlers are quite sensitive early on..


Meanwhile the cattle remain in the sheep enclosure.

1 comment:

UP said...

Seeing these bring to mind the time I was riding my bike along a paved path. I was going north against a strong head wind. As I rode around a slight curve in the path there ahead of me were two deer. They didn't see me until I was almost on them. Then they gracefully jumped off the path into the tall grass and disappeared from sight.

In my minds eye I can see these five deer gracefully leaping and running also.

Thanks for the photo and the memory.