Friday 17 December 2010

Snow Variety



Given the choice I would always go for a sketch or painting of landscape rather than a photograph. Even a moderately talented artist brings something extra to a view making a camera's efforts impersonal to my mind. Just half an hour of observing closely brings humanity into the picture.
The one possible exception is in snow scenes though I may be influenced by seeing too many kitch and cliched pictures only fit for cheap Christmas cards. Actual snow creates a greater variety of effects than I've ever seen in paintings. Each time it falls it clings to vegetation in a slightly different way to the last. But it's always most interesting around trees. This morning's snow left its greatest impression around the underlayers of bilberry and other low scrubby growth.
Today's deer were a couple of younger stags I've not seen recently. One was already large and likely to make a formidable adversary in autumns to come.

No comments: