Tuesday 1 February 2011

What's in a Number?

Being naturally sceptical I become even more suspicious when people quote statistics. Everything depends on how data is collected and by whom; and on who is interpreting the data and what is being left out. But the blog mechanism here tells me that 'hits' on this blog now number over 20,000; they are apparently 'unique hits' meaning it can't be the same person again and again. Nor can it be me as there's some kind of 'cookie' or other that prevents visits on my computer being registered - and I know that's true: I've tested it by logging on a dozen times and the numbers stayed the same.

It all leaves me a bit puzzled as I've always used this blog as a way of talking to myself. Who can they be? My working assumption is that most are those who don't like what this blog says but feel they have to check regularly on whether a new post mentions them or is in some way threatening to their job or way of life.

Whoever you are you are welcome to comment.

2 comments:

Rowan said...

Well, I account for some of the hits anyway:) I usually check in 3 or 4 times a week.

Geordierunner said...

I only found this a few weeks ago, and don't really follow blogs. But I know Blacka Moor, and like it. And I find I rather like your gruff anti-establishment disapproval of everything and everyone who doesn't live up to your own view of how things should be.