Saturday 9 July 2011

Interpretation

The Eastern Moors Partnership first surfaced last year when meetings were held in various places. Posts about those meetings can be found here, and here, and here.
As I said I would like to be involved in any further levels of consultation I waited eagerly. Not much information came along so I asked. Not much of a response until I was invited to go to a meeting about Signage and Interpretation. This is apparently one of a number (three?)categorised as Focus Groups. I was much more inetersted in how the land was going to be managed but was not invited to that. Anyway the value of attending a focus group is minimal. There is also a Stakeholder Group whose membership has not been disclosed to me despite my asking twice. Beyond that are various layers of impenetrability involving officers of PDNPA where the real policy gets decided. It's probable that the draft Management Plan that goes out for consultation in August will take very little change but you have to try.

The signage meeting told us about the things the EMP want to put up in car parks etc. displaying the logos of NT and RSPB. Interpretation means the facilitation of dialogue between parties using different languages, but it also, for landscape managers, means education a concept which strays close to propaganda in the right hands.

On further reflection I wonder why they don't go the whole hog: ten feet high signs at all possible places reminding us of the two charities and inviting us all to join. One of those wet slogans would do well too: something like Partners for a Better Countryside, or Together We Farm for Nature.

On interpretation the preference was for things that did not intrude and which those who couldn't live without the propaganda could access without it being an eyesore for the rest of us. The last thing I want to read is a sign telling me that the place has got to have sheep faeces all over it to stop horrid nature destroying the habitat for the tree pipit.

No comments: