Tuesday 12 June 2012

Far and Near



Those who look out for wildlife in the landscape are in a minority. I see many walking, running and cycling with heads down. Still,  many go past something that would fascinate them if they knew it was there. I frequently wonder how many things I've missed on a typical walk because I was looking the wrong way or had made too much noise or was talking with a companion. That's as nothing to what's missed by those who cycle or jog or walk while texting or with earphones attached.

Sometimes, though, it's easier to see things in the distance than close to when out in the open with no distractions.



A buzzard was circling this morning just as a jogger had stopped to ask me about cuckoos. That bird has not yet allowed me to see it closer than this. Then something made me think the sheep on the skyline was not a sheep after all.


 Looking down from the hillside the woodland below was enticing.



Even close by some animals are well disguised.


My companion still couldn't see the group of hinds lying in the dead bracken even when I pointed to where they were.


Fortunately we also get to see good close up views of wildlife with attitude.

No comments: