Tuesday 4 February 2014

Still Standing ....

.... as at 8 am.


To go in for" birch bashing" you have to make a determined effort to exclude from your mind the fact that you are destroying a unique living organism. Some people find this easier than others. There's obviously a continuum in this. Near the beginning may be the practice of instinctively swatting a midge. Those whose job is to provide protein for the masses come in the middle while some of the darkest deeds associated with war are at the furthest range. All though have an element of closing your mind to things. Please refer to the philosophy department.


Each section of bark could be transposed into a frame alongside much of the abstract art I've enjoyed. Maybe in a gallery somewhere in the world is a room devoted to paintings inspired by  the bark of just birch trees. It's very doubtful that would give SWT pause for thought. Minds are set.


I'm intrigued by many things about the responses I've had to my letters. Recently someone said to me "Actually I think we all want the same thing".Not for the first time.  Can I really have failed so miserably to say what I think? How many times is it necessary to say that I want land and wildlife that is not exploited for gain nor controlled by human intervention?


No comments: