Thursday 29 January 2015

White

I try  to post photographs on the same day when I can. This time I'm afraid I'm guilty of fraud. The photo below was taken a week ago. The heavy snow that fell overnight, and was still falling when I last looked out, has made Blacka inaccessible for me and probably everyone  else with suspensions to the bus service*. My car is buried and no prospect of covering 200 yards uphill. Neither does it help being unwell. It's hard not to think of the birds which are always pleased to see us without feeling I've let them down. On a cold morning a few days ago there were five robins waiting in one small tree and the other tits and blackbirds too. Small birds need to feed regularly in small doses. When we feed them in the morning they are usually desperate for the first mouthful, but have soon had enough; overeating by taking in a lot at a time is not something they do. Other wildlife have their own resources. Deer can usually knock the snow off low shrubbery and underlayer and feed on bramble leaves; a good supply on Blacka. The third heavy snowfall in a month makes this a severe winter compared to recent years, and the latest snowfall has been greater than the others. January not yet over.




* Update 30th Jan 7.30. 272 service remains suspended.

No comments: