Monday 16 February 2015

A Liking for Lichen

I was a bit surprised to read this in the description of trees from SRWTs draft management plan:

"The true veteran trees tend to be oak, although several notable beech, sycamore and birch trees are also recorded. The notable sycamore present on the in-by support some of the best lichen communities present on the reserve."
So I went along to the in-by to have another look at the sycamores. I had obviously missed something. I didn't think the sycamores at the spot I call Seven Trees would be called veteran but notable seems about right in that they form a group in an enclosure otherwise devoid of tree interest apart from one or two scattered thorns. What I had not realised was the importance of the lichens. But then my appreciation of algae, lichens and mosses is purely subjective. Still, as with anything from SRWT, it's best to query.


It would be helpful if somebody who is an expert could enlighten me because nice though they are I've not been able to detect any specimens distinctively different to what I've seen in many other parts of Blacka. And nothing as striking as the spectacle on the rowans along the streamside above Blacka Dyke.


It would be sad if someone visited Blacka to look at lichens and, having checked out the sycamores failed to see the others.

No comments: