Friday 30 September 2016

Sending Messages

On a recent trip to Bushy Park, one of the Royal Parks, near Hampton Court, I saw red deer lying relaxed by the roadside ignoring passing vehicles. I felt uncomfortable with this. The herd there has been managed for many years and the parkland has few features of natural or wild landscape.

Here, on Blacka, the deer shun people, see us as a potential threat and usually run off quickly. That feels right. Deer should be very wary and timid.


At this time of year when the blood is up stags are rather different. I've never known one to be aggressive towards me but this fellow wanted to communicate his feelings so I was treated to a stare and a healthy bellow. Just a message for me to pass on to any rivals I might see.

Some say that in Bushy Park stags can at times become aggressive towards people. That may be in part a consequence of them being enclosed and with no wilder vegetation to retire into. That does not apply here.

I would rather see one indistinctly among the trees and scrub than 50 wandering about semi-domesticated in a park.

No comments: